How much it would cost to protect the Planet?

Some things shouldn’t have a price tag on them. Unfortunately we live in a world where everything is priced, therefore scientists figured out how much would it cost to protect the Planet and save us from a mass extinction event.

So, how much would it cost to save the world?

According to the latest scientific calculations, it would cost  $140 billion a year to protect 30% of our Planet from destruction! $140 billion, that’s less than 1 Jeff Bezos or 1 Elon Musk! It would cost less than the net worth of the richest man in the world to save the world!

That is also less than what the world spends yearly on videogames.

Less than a third of what governments spend on subsidizing activities that destroy nature, like mining, oil industry or industrial farming.

And a fraction of the $10 trillion spent on COVID-19 packages just in the first two months of the pandemic.

Unsurprisingly, this is utterly astonishing! We live in a world where 1 man is worth more than what it would cost to tip the needle in to the planet recovery path! Even though, we aren’t doing enough for it to happen.

We live in a world where since 1970’s, we’ve seen a decrease of 68% in fish, mammals and birds populations, yet the human populations has grown from 3.6 billion to 7.6 billion, more than doubling.

While the world GDP can be wiped in half due to nature loss, investing in nature would deliver benefits outweighing the costs by 5:1, generating an annual economic output of $250 billion as well as a revenue of $350 billion in ecosystem services like food security, health and protection from extreme weather events.

Only by moving to a nature-positive economy, businesses could be making as much as extra $10 trillion a year by 2030, as well as generating an extra 400 million jobs, and that’s just the lower calculations. 

Now, why only 30% of the Planet you ask? If the target would be 100%, it would be virtually impossible to achieve it in a decade. By protecting 30% (a much more tangible and realistic number) the remaining 70% will naturally and automatically begin to regenerate as the worlds tendency will be towards a greener economy and way of living. Not all countries of the world are advancing at the same rhythm, so by moving forward 30%, the following ones will be right in line and if we continue like that, by 2050 we might stand a chance to say that we switched the course of events and that we live in a sustainable world.

We can only achieve this together, and if everyone of us would think greener on daily basis and when doing all our daily duties and routines, we will get there even sooner than we expect.

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published